Yesterday, I was fed up with one of my former favorite classes. (Last year, I heart-ed the 7th graders). They have been far too comfortable with me as their teacher.
Yes, I know that I taught you last year. Yes, I know that I liked you people and for the most part you liked me. Yes, I know we used to talk about all sorts of stuff.
No, that does not mean you can come into my class this year and goof around. No, that does not mean you don't have to do your homework. No, that does not mean I am only kidding when I say, 'Hey- stop talking- this is important (which it all is... so I say this a lot)." No, this does not mean that you can forget everything I taught you last year.
So today I did three things.
I made three significant points:
a. Latin is a language that builds on itself every year (which is why you can't forget what you learned last year- duh.) I told you this last year. Get with the program or get help from me.
b. Your homework has been atrocious. You are either lazy, or I didn't teach you well enough. I know you people did well last year, so it can't be the latter.
c. I know you are all very capable. I know you have good, functional, pretty brains- use them. Stop being lazy and let me teach you now please.
Then I gave out the world's BEST (no lie) test review. And I went through it with them, and talked them through how to think out the questions.
Then I handed out progress reports for their parents to sign. With notes. To their parents. All about their performance and behavior in my class.
Guess which course of action had the greatest results.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment