One day my routine was shattered. An old woman who lives in the condo complex that is specifically NOT mine came outside and yelled at me for walking/running on the her side of the complexes. (Long story short, we are all in a gated community. There is an invisible dividing line separating one condo complex with its homeowners' association from the other condo complex with its homeowners' assocation. Stupid, I know.) I walked away, nearly crying. I didn't stand up for myself. I didn't yell back. I didn't even state my case. I just walked away, tail between my legs. A little later that same morning, an older man who also lives in MY side of the complex who also happened to walk every morning... on BOTH sides... stood up for me to the woman. It was an interesting/fun interaction, but I never felt comfortable walking/running on that side again. So I joined a gym.
This brings me to today. I think I'm going to give up my gym membership. Nevermind the fact that it is only a mile down the road, I NEVER go. I don't enjoy being there when I am there. The treadmill is alright but really, nothing compares to walking outside. The sunshine. The birds. The flowers and trees. Somehow, an air-conditioned gym just doesn't stand up to that. I hate having to plan when I am going to work out. I hate having to get in my car and drive before I work out. One might ask, why don't you just walk to the gym? Because, my friends, I live in a city that is not very safe for a young female to walk alone in.. be it one mile or fifty... it ain't happening. Sorry.
Because it is an AWESOME time of year right now and the weather is incredible more often than not, I am going to attempt to reclaim my routine. It will look a little different, as I won't be able to do it in the morning, but I think I will in the afternoon. I have resolved to stand up to the old lady if she tries to confront me again, because dangit... walking down that street doesn't hurt anyone or do anything, and I see people from both sides walking on all sides all the time.
I am happy for springtime. I am happy for getting back my walking/running outside and doing a workout at home routine. It was working for me last summer. I hate that I ever lost it.

No comments:
Post a Comment