Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Update from yesterday's shameless advertising

The human resources called me back this morning. I was definitely asleep when she called, so I had to quickly make myself sound composed like I'd been awake for hours.

She congratulated me on getting married (I had mentioned that I needed my name to be changed on all my application info stuff for the district), and asked a few questions about the test and the program.

Then there was the: Unfortunately we have no available Latin positions at this time.
BUT, I do want to make sure to include you should anything become available. You really never know what's going to happen. Last year we thought we were clear, but then all of the sudden in August and September we suddenly needed 3 teachers. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please let that happen in Latin!!!!!!).

Then she followed this with: I don't want to burst your bubble, but in case nothing comes up this year, we are opening a brand new high school next year, in August 2010, and we will most likely need Latin teachers. So in case there is nothing now, keep that in mind.

What this woman doesn't realize is that even though she isn't giving me a job, she is giving me a lot of hope and a lot of opportunities to make myself more employable. Or maybe she does realize it. Either way, I am pretty grateful she is keeping me in mind and keeps pushing me to do more.

Because THEN, she said, "Okay, now let's talk about your options. What if a job doesn't come up for this year. What are you going to do?"

Me: "Well, if that were the case I would tutor as much as possible and probably try to substitute."

HR lady: "Excellent, (something about substituting being a great idea). Have you feeled (edit: omg, did I really write 'feeled' instead of 'filled'? shoot me now.) out the substitute application?

Me: "No."

HR: "Okay, well that is a separate application to fill out. Once you get it filled out, read the website and there will be a list of things you need to bring. It is first come, first serve, so make sure you come as soon as possible to be considered. Substituting is a great way to get experience and learn from others."

Me: "Okay, thank you so much."

HR lady: "Make sure you let me know when you get your test scores in, and when you complete the first part of your alternative cert. training."

Me: "Of course, thank you again, so much."

So, clearly, no job leads, but one really really nice Human Resources Lady who is helping me tremendously.

Oh, and after she told me about the substitute application, I immediately pounced out of bed (that's right, I slept UPSTAIRS last night, alone, while CB was still out of town. Go me!) and filled out the application online.

I read on the site that there were only certain dates and times the substitute office was open, and that TODAY was the last day until Monday that it would be open, and only until 11am.

I really had to rush this if I was going to get in there today. I filled out the W-4 form, and the I-9 form, and printed the w-4 form, and prin... waiiit, why wasn't my printer printing anymore? No I-9? effff?! I tried everything. Messing with ink cartridges, trying to print it on CB's computer. Nothing. The I-9 did NOT want to come out today. So alas, I did not make it to the substitute office today. But I assure you, come 8 am Monday morning, I will be first in line. The good news is that everything else is in order except that effing I-9 form.

In the meantime: CB comes home today!!!! Yayayay!
Meeting with alternative cert. program tomorrow! Yayayay!
Still have lots of unpacking... boooo.

PS: There are certainly a lot of hoops to jump through to become a certified teacher/teacher in a public school. It makes my legs tired.

No comments: