Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A flashing sign

When I was in high school I had a Bible teacher who always said, "What if everyone walked around with their top 10 worst sins flashing above them?"

As an adult, I now appreciate that question more than ever. If everyone walked around with their top 10 worst sins flashing above them, people could be more genuine. I could be more genuine. As it stands, we do not walk around with those signs, and though I do not find myself to be a bad or immoral person, I know that there are many who would find some choices I have made to be bad or immoral. That sucks. And ultimately, I do realize it is not about whether I find myself to be good or moral, or whether other people find me to be bad or immoral, it is about what the all-knowing, all-loving, and all-forgiving God thinks, and it is about my faith in Him, not any of our measly opinions. 

But while we are here... it would make life a lot easier just to be genuine. To be able to say, "Hey. This is who I am, and these are the choices I have made, both good and bad." would be the most refreshing, soothing, and freeing feeling of all. To have no one look down on me, or judge me, or speak ill of me because of those choices, but rather to embrace and understand and love anyway because they themselves have made their own set of choices- good and bad- and they don't want to be judged either- that would be heavenly. 

Meanwhile, that is impossible. We can't truly be open about who we are or the choices we make because there are people out there who judge. People who whisper. People who scorn you. People who look down there noses and shake their head in disappointment. And by people? I mean Christians, which is the saddest part of all. 

No comments: