Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pedicures and Orange Cup with Ms...

Today was the day I spent an afternoon with 3 junior high girls. Sweet girls. The ones who are quiet in class, drowned out by the excessively chatty outgoing girls. 

For those of you who might be wondering why I would be hanging out with junior high girls at the mall: It has to do with this auction my school holds every year. Teachers are encouraged to contribute their time or skills to this as items to bid on, and I was contacted by someone helping with the auction and asked to enter something. She came up with the idea of an afternoon shopping with me, including pedicures and Orange Cup. I agreed and apparently the afternoon with me sold for $680. I was completely flattered by the amount it went for, but also felt a little bit like a fake- as I am really not all that exciting or cool in real life.

 I was slightly overwhelmed by the fact that I, not being a mother or even a babysitter ever in my life(save one horrid summer of nannying), had no idea what to do with 13-14 year old girls. I think the 10-11 year age gap has something to do with that.  Luckily, the parent-teacher organization at my school provided us with a gift certificate for pedicures and a delicious treat I had never had called Orange Cup. 

All in all, it was both fun and exhausting.  I understand why my mom spent my childhood telling me not to touch things in stores and I had to suppress the urge to tell these girls the same thing as we walked in and out of pricey boutiques. I did say, on more than one occasion: Just don't break anything. Please. 

Other Stuff:

The school year is ending. AKA: My time of having a job and salary is ending. 
I am very seriously considering NOT teaching this fall, not because I don't love it, but because hopefully I will be in a teaching certification program and working on studying for the GRE. CB has told me I can do absolutely whatever I want to do, as long as I am happy. This includes my not working idea. Or at least not working full-time. I can't not work. I just can't. 

On June 27th I have take the hardest Latin exam of my life. If I pass it, I will get accepted into an alternative cert. program in San Antonio. Passing it is the key. 

I wasn't planning on publicly announcing this here, but I think I'm going to simply because it makes it easier to talk about things. CB and I, with our parents' blessing and encouragement, are legally getting married in June. Happpyyy! Never fear... we are still having our beautiful wedding on Dec. 19 with a full ceremony and reception and everything; it just made more sense for us for get married legally in June (so I can be on military health insurance, what with the heart problem and all, so we can get all of the financial and legal affairs sorted out, etc. etc.). "Why not just have a big wedding in June anyway then? " you might ask. The answer is that CB is both in medical school, approaching 3rd year rapidly, and the United States Army. Dec. 19, 2009 was the ONLY date in the next 2 years on which he can have a big wedding celebration and honeymoon. We still consider Dec. 19 to be a very important and special day for the both of us, as this is our declaration in front of our friends and family and God that we are bound together for life. We see it as equally, if not more, important than our private June legal ceremony. Our parents won't even be with us in June, simply because we want the December ceremony to stand out and be special. So there's that. Happy 2 weddings for me! 


No comments: