Friday, June 26, 2009

The Actuality of 'Living with another person'

Today marks day 4 (I don't count moving day ...read on...) of living with CB. Today is the first day we have had internet or TV. Today is the day before my huge Latin test (vomit).

Today is my first full 24 hours of being married. Yesterday CB and I finally made it down to the courthouse to deal with the getting married legally business. I was a nervous wreck, CB was fine. It is just like us for me to get cold feet and him to be absolutely calm and resolute. The judge that married us was hilarious, and made the situation as exactly informal as I had wanted it to be. No fancy vows, no ring exchange (we did this later)... just a quick: Do you promise to take care of him whether he is good or bad? I do. And the same for her? To take care of her whether she is good or bad? I do. The end. Husband and wife. The judge kept making jokes and asked if he was ruining a great friendship by doing this. We laughed a lot, and then we had 2 absolute strangers sign as our witnesses. It was the most non-traditional thing I have ever done.
Afterwards I felt sad that our families weren't there to witness it, but there wasn't really anything to witness. Afterwards we went out in front of the courthouse, which was beautiful, and sat by the fountain and exchanged wedding bands. Mine is a super simple white gold band- for now. December will now be the most special, momentous occasion for us as there will be formal vows, a prettier diamond wedding band, family and friends to celebrate with and witness the occasion, a pretty wedding gown, and a handsome groom in a tux. It will be a wedding.

As of now, we are legally married. I have already gone to the social security office to change my name. CB will be taking a copy of the marriage license (which, by the way, had been dated wrong by the judge initially-July 25 instead of June 25. It has since been corrected.) back to DC this Sunday to turn it into the proper Army officials so I can begin the daunting task of getting a military dependent ID and insurance, etc. I don't plan on actually using the name for most things until December, except official paperwork, and my twitter I suppose.

The past 4 days have been a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. It is hard to write them all here so I will put them in list form below. They will be random and probably out of order but I will do my best to be coherent.

- OMG, why are the movers effing 2 hours late?!!?!
- Yay movers, for quilting all my furniture!
- Boo movers, for taking 6 hours to load my apartment and not finishing until 5 pm the day of my move.
- I just want to get to SA already.
- (upon walking into the house) OMG. CB's crap is everywhere. This is a mess.
- What did I just do? I just moved away from home. Why did I do that?
- I'm so effing broke.
- Ahh! I am not used to having someone pay for, quite literally, everything. Dates? Of course. But the rent? The new washer and dryer? The groceries? My life?
- Does this mean he owns me? (no!)
- I wish I had a job so I could help contribute to this financially.
- But I AM contributing. He pays for everything, but I freaking filled this entire house with everything in it.
- I still wish I had a job.
- I have the best fiance/husband ever. He makes such a good point when he talks about all the money being in one pot and us sharing it; it doesn't belong to just one of us.
- I still wish I had a job.
- OMG I am married. What did I just do? Freak out. Tight chest. Scary. This is forever. Please stop calling me 'wife'.
- I miss my last name.
- I am married. But it is okay, because this is CB you're married to. Could you be any luckier?
- You will get used to this. This= Living in a new city. Being away from home. Being married. A new last name. Living in a house. Sharing stuff.
- I just wish I could unpack everything all the way through until it's done. Effing Latin test.


Anyways, there is more. I will write more details later. Mostly, it will suffice to say that this has been one enormous week of change in my life and it freaks me out at least once a day.

Must go study Latin. Can't wait until that test is over.

No comments: