Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I am so tired of hearing nothing

Here is how it seems to be going in my job search world:

Search websites.
Find potential job.
Drop everything and spend an hour or two filling out the application, craft a good cover letter, etc.
Submit application.
Jump through the 12 other hoops they want me to jump through, including, but not limited to:
mailing in my college transcripts
mailing in my resume
mailing in my last 2 performance reviews
taking an online 'teacher assessment' test

Commence waiting
Wait
Wait
Call to check on status of application
Told that application is 'active' and that's all they can say
Wait
Nothing. Hear nothing.

So yesterday, when CB got home, I started crying. I tried not to. I tried to explain to him that my bff Sarah and I discussed that it was about time I start looking for non-teaching jobs. That I could always wait tables because I have experience doing this. Or that I could start looking at random retail jobs, except that I would want to spend my whole paycheck there. I tried to tell him that I had two issues with those, the first issue being that I have a Bachelor's degree and that I have had a real, salaried job. I know it's a pride thing but it is really hard to imagine taking a job that a high school student could have. The second issue is this: I love teaching. What if I get a job that isn't teaching and I can never make my way back into it? What if I forget all my Latins? Turns out, I couldn't tell him all of this without tearing up. I can hardly type it without tearing up. So I cried. He held me and told me that it was going to be okay and is there anything he can do to help me look. I said not really. Then I left for my teaching certification class.

When I got home, he told me he had spent an hour looking for jobs for me. He found the same problem I do when it comes to teaching positions: there are none. But, he had found a non-teaching job that I might like and I should go look at it on his computer. So I did, and admittedly, it looks like something I could do and like and be good at. It was just posted yesterday, so I immediately filled out the 7 page online application, wrote a good cover letter and attached it with my resume.

The position is for Associate Student Activities director with the community college district here. It requires that you have a bachelor's degree and 3-4 years of experience in education, student activities or another related field. Well then, I have 2 years of experience in education and 3 years of experience as an RA and 2 summers of experience as a camp counselor. I'm hoping that works for them. Basically, in this job, I would help plan and implement educational and entertaining extracurricular activities. I would probably work with a team of people, but possibly be in charge of it. Still working with/for students, which I like. Getting to be creative and interact with people a lot, which I also like. The problem is this... colleges often have people lined up internally for these types of positions but are required to post them online anyway. I am really really hoping that isn't the case here, because I could really stand to hear good news for once. So, we will see. I am trying not to get my hopes up, and, I am still looking. Always looking.

No comments: