And now, what I have been waiting months to write, I think I have a job.
I had that meeting yesterday with the head of the school. He asked the lower school director to sit in with us as well, which at the time, didn't set off any bells in my head. We chatted for an hour and a half. Yes, that long. About everything from why and how I became a teacher to what type of students I connect with best in a classroom to what I thought about my first 2 years of teaching. And then they asked me how I felt about elementary school kids.
Um. What?
They explained that it is very clear that teaching Latin, more than anything, is the desire of my heart, but that they had no availability in the middle school or high school as they already have 2 very qualified and well-liked Latin teachers whom they do not intend on losing anytime soon. I don't blame them. In fact, they told me they don't have any positions at all, BUT, that if they did, it would be a position teaching 3rd-5th grade Latin. Yes, that is right, 3rd grade Latin. It is a Classical school thing, trust me. I tried my best not to gawk and kick myself, because naturally, I had said only weeks before that I would never teach below 7th grade, and suddenly here I was, listening to them present a non open teaching position to me that involved 3rd-5th graders. Because I am not stupid, I said that I was open to the idea and that it could be a great learning experience for me. After all, I said I would never teach secondary school at all. I said I would never teach junior high. And then I did both of these things. And I loved it. So who is to say I won't love elementary? God has turned around my plans everytime in regards to things like this, and really, I have prayed for a job. Any job. And I know people having been praying for me to find a job. So really? I take this as a blessing. But remember, it wasn't an actual position as of yesterday. They kept talking to me though and we discussed what it was like to teach elementary age children and what sort of schedule I would have. I asked if I could still have involvement with the high school in extracurricular things, especially something like cheerleading, and their ears perked. Cheerleading? Like, could I coach? Why, yes sir, I can't teach them tumbling, but I can teach them how to stunt, I can teach them how to jump, I can teach them how to cheer, I can make them look good. This seemed to be good news to them, and to the current cheer sponsor (most adorable woman ever). Basically, I was told after an hour and a half of talking and touring the campus and meeting people that they don't officially have a position but they will try to make something work.
Today, as I was filling out the application per their request, I received a phone call from the lower school director. She told me, "I think this is going to work out, if you're interested." My response, "I am definitely interested." She said that they are still waiting on a couple of things to come through, but that she wanted to give me a heads up and tomorrow, when I turn in my application to her, we will sit down and go over somethings and kill two birds with one stone (what that second bird is, I don't know.).
So there you go. A job. Teaching elementary students. Latin. Again, subdued because I haven't yet signed a contract, but still excited.
Any advice about teaching elementary kids?

1 comment:
That is very exciting! Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow! WooHoo!
Post a Comment