Tonight I commented on my cousin-in-law's facebook. He posted a link about a woman in Britain who gave birth on the pavement in front of a hospital because they wouldn't send an ambulance. It sparked a large disagreement/debate about healthcare and the current situation in the United States. I most always keep my mouth shut in such instances, because quite frankly, I don't want a bunch of people yelling at me for my opinion, and I don't want to argue with people who have no chance of seeing the other side. But today there was something inside of me... something that spurred me to say something. And then 4 more somethings. Not because I had something to say about the proposed healthcare reforms and what not, but because I disagreed with a statement one guy had made about the current healthcare system.
The minute I wrote all of it, I turned to CB and said, "I'm such an idiot. Why did I write all that? What if I didn't even address the argument correctly? What if a bunch of people now comment back and hurt my feelings because they're rude?" The bottom line is, I have serious opinions and beliefs... but I don't know how keen I am on the idea of people getting to nitpick at them. Which is why I find myself likened to the idea of few people, or no one, reading this. I can write meaningless stuff and no one calls me shallow or lame, and I can complain about things, write about Christianity or whatever, and no one challenges me or makes me feel bad for thinking a certain way.
That is such a cop-out I know. But for now it is comfortable. There is a voice inside me that is saying, "LAAAMMMMMEEEE LB, how will you ever make a difference if you don't stand up for what you believe in??!?" And to that voice I say, "I most certainly stand up for what I believe in when it counts. But throwing out my opinion in an arena where it will do nothing but stir up dissenssion amongst people who don't have any control over any of it... I will pass."
I used to argue with anything anyone said that I disagreed with. I learned over time that this act- arguing with everyone who disagrees with my point of view- gets me absolutely nowhere. Sometimes you just have to sit and listen to what people have to say, consider their point, and if it is truly worth it and it will truly get both of you somewhere, then share your disagreement respectfully... but if you listen to what they say and you still disagree, you must first decide whether it will truly be of any significance if you take up an argument with that person. If not, politely nod and let it go. And sometimes, albeit rarely, you may just get what they are trying to say and begin to agree.

1 comment:
"Sometimes you just have to sit and listen to what people have to say, consider their point...."
That's the most important part. You cannot have a well-informed opinion unless you've considered the alternatives.
This is what the typical vacuous and fickle internet consumer rarely seem grasps. That's why the trump card online is typically hyperbole and ad hominem attacks.
Its why Democrats no longer care about Iraq, though it was once their rally cry. Its why Republicans now find it patriotic to protest despite cries of treason against dissenters only months ago.
Its easy to argue the party line, and much harder to rationally articulate your beliefs.
Post a Comment