Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An idea

So, someone once told me that a good thing to do when teaching is to keep a journal of at least one good thing that has happened every day. And one thing that could've been done better. Since my life is currently school and cheerleading and I haven't got a lot else to document here, I am going to attempt to write my one good thing and my one thing I could've done better every day here.

Today's good thing (though not super classroom related):

One of the school's secretaries (aka: woman who knows all information I could need) knows how to do calligraphy. I have desperately been wanting my invitations to be addressed in calligraphy, but it didn't fit in our budget. She offered her services to me today and when I offered to pay her she was insistent that I not "hire" her, but that it would be her joy and pleasure to do it free of charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!

Of course, I will do SOMETHING super nice to thank her.

An extra good thing (that IS classroom related):

During one of my fifth grade classes- particularly the one that always looks at me like I'm from another planet when I talk about Latin- gave me great encouragement today. After giving helpful hints for how to recognize person, number and tense in a verb, a girl raises her hand and says: "Mrs. B. You make complete sense. That last 5 minutes you were talking is the best I've ever understood this."
And others chimed in, with one girl saying, "Yea, I can't believe I ever thought this was hard."

What a relief, especially after my "what I need to do better" for today...

What I need to do better:
Find a way to explain Latin verbs/conjugating to third graders without making them want to cry.

Also:
I need to make "guided notes" for the students to follow along with and fill in as I teach. Since I think their curriculum sucks (which it kind of does) and since elementary students don't really know how to properly take notes/write on the paper in a spatially correct way... guided notes- made by yours truly- would be helpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found your blog through Cautionary Girl a while back, and since I am also a teacher I have been following your posts. I like your idea to write down one good thing that happens everyday, since it is easy (for me anyway) to get discouraged by my job.

I have found that it totally pays to be kind to the secretaries, custodians and aides in my building, who always appreciate being given the time of day (some other teachers brush them off) and who will do such kind favors in return. That is awesome about your wedding invitations!

And, those things your students said are the highest compliments a teacher can be paid, so congratulations!