I got out of the post-wedding, disgruntled blues, and hey- I made friends! Yay friends! Since then, well, I've been busy and have neglected not just this blog, but my computer in general. I live on my iphone. Lame, I know.
It's March now, and let me tell you guys. I LOVE March. I do. I love it because it brings Spring, it brings Spring Break, it brings 3 months or less until Summer, it brings sunshine and flowers and I LOVE sunshine and flowers. March is like one big Friday, and if you know me, you know I dearly love Fridays.
Let me catch you up on life prior to March.
I became friends with some of the people I work with at school, which has been extraordinarily nice since I have been lonely here in this city for awhile. With one of them, I drink margaritas, eat good food, play iphone games, and generally chat it up. With another, I drink wine and limoncello (because her husband makes it in their pantry- hilarious), eat really good homemade food, talk about history and classical studies and generally chat it up. With yet another, I randomly stop by her office, chat it up, complain about minor things, and see her updates to her new house. I like all of these people very much. Though it may seem kind of silly to be so excited about new friends, I have no regrets being so excited because it is not often you find people you CAN be friends with. I mean, high school and college are where most of us find our friends we keep for life, and while that is spectacular and amazing, we don't get to take those friends everywhere we go. Therefore we must learn to make new ones. I am so happy I have.
I have been sick. Twice now. And I am getting a little sick of it.
I have written dozens of thank-yous and yes, I am still writing and really hoping people aren't cursing that one bride who hasn't written them a thank-you yet. I am working on people. I really am. I have a process. Parent's friends first. Family next. Then close personal friends and co-workers. Parent's friends first because they tend to be the most old school and grouchy about it. But I promise. You are getting your thank-yous. Besides, I have heard there is a 3 month window, and it has only been 2 months. I have also heard a year window. I like that one, but don't want people to get angry at me.
I have been helping my husband choose a specialty in which to do his residency. He would be a phenomenal surgeon, let me tell you. He has surgeon's hands. You should really see them, they're beautiful. His undergrad degree is in mechanical engineering, which means, really, that he loves to take things apart and put them back together. And he's good at it (unless of course, it's the brakes on his car and it is the night before his internal medicine clerkship and he is still working at 11pm and is having complications... but that is a whole other story). He was fascinated and intrigued by surgery and by all accounts, he should definitely go for surgery. But. Then again. He's married. And wants children. And wants to do some of the things his dad did for him (he has a wonderful father). To which I respond: I will support you in whatever you end up doing, I will. But you need to realize that should you choose surgery, you don't get to be that kind of dad for a long time. And you will be absent. A lot. Especially for the first several years. So if you choose this, I will love and support you, and miss you a lot, as will any children we have in the future. Surgery is hardcore medicine and I do not want to be the reason he misses out on it, but at the same time, sacrifices have to come from somewhere and those sacrifices will be all of his time and energy.
So that left internal medicine and family medicine. Internal medicine bores him slightly. He does not like seeing the same age group or type of patient over and over, which in this case is 60+. But family medicine, in the military? Now that is slightly different. Family medicine in the Army means working daily with the soldiers and their families. It means developing a relationship with them. It means getting to do minor procedures like removing toenails and small cysts. It even means doing gyn exams (his least favorite of all these options). It means good hours and having a family outside of medicine. It means seeing commonplace illnesses and fascinating weird stuff. It means he has the potential to be attached to a unit and serve as the medical advisor for all those men and women. It means he will get to do medicine, and love medicine, and no it's not the hardcore kind, but it's the meaningful kind and that is what matters to him. So that is his unofficial, official decision. This summer and fall he will interview for residencies and we will know in December where Family Medicine will take us.
Oh yea, and to those on the student promotions committee who had such little faith in him, here are just a a few of the comments made about CB concerning his rotations:
During his cardio-thoracic surgery clerkship, "C has operated on the level one would expect of an intern and will undoubtedly become a fine physician."
"C was mature, organized, and successful in all settings. Perhaps one of his greatest strengths is his ability to adapt and to take feedback well."
In the clinic, it was noted that he had "good rapport with families, was very personable, and accepts feedback well."
"a dedicated team member with good follow through on patients and often volunteered to take on extra, complicated patients."
And that is just a few. I am so so so proud of him. Clinical settings were exactly what he needed to prove himself, and he has said so many times over that he has learned infinitely more while working with patients than he did from the classroom.
They definitely like him in the hospitals, that's for sure.
More frequent updates to come. Now that it's March, I am in a much better mood.

No comments:
Post a Comment