Sunday, October 12, 2008

What One Does a Week After Getting Engaged, or, Why the day you get engaged is a lot like Christmas morning.

This weekend was spent doing several things.

Mostly I slept a lot. I went to bed before midnight- usually well before midnight- every night, and woke up around 8, 9, or 10 the next morning. Sometimes I woke up at a 8, did stuff for 10 minutes, and then went back to sleep.

When not sleeping, I spent a great deal of time flipping through wedding magazines and cutting/ripping stuff out. This is in part thanks to my dear whore friend who mailed me 4 'gently used' wedding mags, and a black book with blank pages with the purpose of being filled with my rippings and clippings.

Same whore friend mailed me my birthday presents, which I promptly opened 2 weeks before my actual birthday. Even though it said to wait. But I was just dying to see what was in the the awkwardly shaped package which turned out to be a Camp Rock radio/pen.... neat. The Hannah Montana Glue stick was actually a necessity though. A necessity for gluing my wedidng mag clippings into my black book.

I finally got around to cleaning some stuff, but after I carefully removed my engagement ring and cleaned it for the second time in 3 days (anal much?!).

I mostly have found that the moment you get engaged, that beautiful, meaningful, amazing moment in your life- is over in 5 minutes. Much like Christmas morning. All the anticipation and then BAM, that very moment is over.

Then you spend the rest of your time playing with what you got on Christmas day, or in this case, engagement day. I gaze at the ring. I fret over the small scuffs on the palm of it, and worry that it might be losing its sparkle.

If you are not playing with the actual gifts from the day, you are messing with the assorted pieces that go with your gifts... here this would be wedding magazines and day dreaming.


Unlike Christmas morning, engagement lasts. It turns into wedding day. Wedding day turns into marriage. Marriage (hopefully) turns into the rest of your life.

So after all of my sleeping and wedding magazine reading and clipping and ripping, and brief spurts of cleaning, I finally did some legitimate work for school.

And thus here I am, writing about engagement again. Sigh.

No comments: