Monday, December 29, 2008

My Awesome Time at the Gym

Today was possibly one of the most embarassing days of my life.

Backstory:

My dad gave me 5 personal training sessions at my gym for my birthday.
I have a heart problem.

That's all you need to know to keep up with my story.

So today CB and I went to my gym. I had a 4pm appointment with my trainer- my first real session where she was going to make me workout and do stuff.

We got there early so I could do my warm-up: 5 minutes of walking on the treadmill, rolling out my muscles on this foam roll thing, and some stretches. She and I chatted it up about how excited I was, how I could follow instructions well, etc.

My first exercise was this floor bridge thing. It reminds me a tad bit of yoga. I had to lift my hips and  squeeze my gluts and abs and hold for 1 second, then lower for 4 sec., hold for 2 sec. and then back up tight. For 2.5 minutes.  Not too bad. Made my butt burn like you wouldn't believe. I highly recommend it.

Then we went straight into what I call the plank, fraternities would call 'bows and toes,' and what the trainer called 'isotropic abs' or something like that. Basically I had to hold myself up for 10 seconds on my elbows and toes- squeezing every muscle. I did that 15 times. It made me shake.

Then we balanced. I did these things I can't explain in words really without demonstrating. 

At some point, I am not sure if it was here, or before that last one, I was feeling a little light headed and exhausted. I asked to go get some water and of course she said yes. 

I came back, and then we did what she was called 'reactive' exercises. I call them cheerleading lunges. I had to lunge with one leg, and at the same time stretch the arm opposite to the knee that was lunging, to the knee while holding a 4 lb ball. Effective.

Actually, I am now pretty sure that in between legs was the light headedness and water break.

So yea, I finally finished those. I was exhausted. I sat down and was trying to catch my breath while she set up my next task. Meanwhile the fitness manager came and introduced himself to me and we were chatting while I was sitting. He said I probably shouldn't be sitting while I was feeling exhausted and had me stand. 

I stand.

I suddenly start to feel queasy and a bit like I am about to pass out. Fitness manager and trainer rush me over to the wall and tell me to lean against it. 

Not working people- let me sit or lay down so my blood can return to my heart and brain please!!!

The entire room became fuzzy in my eyeballs.

Finally we compromise with me leaning against the wall with my hands on my knees. Fitness manager orders people to get me a large water, a wet towel and a bag of ice. 

After a minute or two I can see straight. Fitness manager has asked me several questions about what grade I teach, when my break is over, etc.

Then he finally lets me sit down, after he asks for my fiance's name and goes off in search of him in the gym.

It was explained to me that all the color drained from my face and that I was all clammy in my hands and sweat was running down me. 

I sit and laugh because OMG I am sooooo embarassed. I'm that girl. That wuss girl in the gym who can't hack a simple workout. EVERYONE, and that is not an exaggeration this time, is looking at me.

And the poooor trainer lady. She felt horrible and was so freaked out. She thought she had planned a light, easy workout for me. I feel horrible for scaring her. She probably hates me now. 

She already knew I have a heart condition, but I explained a little bit further how it works. My heart has to pump 3 times to circulate the same amount of blood 1 pump in a healthy heart would do. I told her that I was so sorry, and I even thought I could do more than that, and perhaps that I needed to go a bit slower. That the exercises themselves were fine, but that I needed to take more time to do them and more time in between each one.

She is terrified now. I am the talk of the local 24 hr. Fitness.

FM finally found CB and he rushed over to see me. He checked my heart rate in my neck, wrists, and ankles. Then he just sat with me while everyone talked to me. 

I was even approached by a stranger, who walked up and said, "I don't mean to butt in, but I am a doctor over at Parkland and I just wanted to make sure you are okay."

I said yes. Because I am okay. I just have a ... slow heart? 

The FM suggested I bring a powerade to keep up my blood sugar. Which is kind of interesting... and this is where it gets funny about personal trainers. Because they are so well-meaning, and they know ALL the exercises, but they only know tidbits of real medicine. It wasn't my blood sugar that was down... it was the lack of oxygen in my brain.  2-ish hours before I had had a good healthy, sizable lunch, I wasn't hungry, nor was I too full. 

And CB, still in medical school himself, even thought that standing was really not what I needed to be doing. Sitting or laying actually allows for more profusion of blood back to the heart and brain- standing makes it harder. That is a near direct quote from a cardiologist that teaches CB. But that is okay, the trainers were doing the best they could, what they know. 

But just fyi: if your brain isn't getting oxygen- standing isn't going to make the blood get there faster. 

So, that was AWESOME. But I did get a free 24 hour fitness towel. Cool.

*As a disclaimer: I in NO WAY whatsoever blame the 24 hour fitness personal training staff for what happened to me today. I have a bum heart. I always have. It used to work a tad better, but that's okay. I just need to take it slow.  

No comments: