Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I NEED A JOB

Something bothering me lately:

Everyone talks about how there aren't enough good teachers, and how there aren't enough teachers period. And then comes along a good teacher who wants to teach, but is there any space for her? No.

I can't tell you how many districts have posted: No job openings.
Or, Math and Science teachers.
Or, Special Ed. teachers.
Or, Stuff that isn't history or Latin.

Look, folks, I know you can make your coaches your history teachers, but that doesn't make them good teachers. A good history teacher knows that teaching history is actually rather difficult, and puts in the effort to make history interesting and engaging. I can dooo that. Hire me. Want me. Trust me. I won't waste your time.

Better yet? Add LATIN to your foreign language department. Trust me, it ISN'T a dead language. And you'll thank me when your students' TAKS reading scores go up, and their SAT/ACT scores soar. It is proven that Latin students score anywhere from 400-600 points higher on standardized tests. Why? Not just because 65% of the English language is rooted in Latin, but also because Latin teaches you more about English grammar than your English classes do. Honest. AND, because Latin teaches you how to think about sentence structure. When you have to put a sentence together based on the endings of words alone and NOT based on the order the words are in, you are suddenly aware of what each word is doing in a sentence and you can think about how the sentence works. LATIN IS USEFUL. HIRE ME.

And besides all that... Latin is way cooler and way more intellectual than any other language you've got going on right now. Seriously. Just give it a chance.

The end.
Going to work out now. And get the mirror on my car fixed. Oh by the way. I broke it. And cried. A lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can teach me Latin. I promise to do my homework.