Friday, July 10, 2009

The Little Things

This post is going to go into detail about some personal things... if it bothers you... don't read.

So awhile back, in 2006-ish, I went to see a gynecologist. I hadn't gotten my period in 4 months, and trust me folks, it wasn't because I was having sex and had gotten pregnant. I was most definitely NOT having the sexes, and therefore was not pregnant.

The doctor ran some tests and in the end came out saying that I mostly likely had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Aka: My ovaries don't work right. While this was mostly speculation based on hormone levels detected in the test, it was a good enough explanation to me. She put me on hormones for 10 days, at the end of which I would finally start my period, and upon completing that, I would need to start taking birth control to regulate the, um, cycle.

And ever since I have been on birth control. Now, the first kind of BC I was put on made me a nut job. Seriously. Crazy. Crying all the time and getting way too pissed off over nothing. I often wondered what was wrong with me. I went to the doctor again, and she told me I had PMDD- Pre-menstrual disphoric (sp? or is this even the right word?) disorder. AKA: World's worst PMS. I still politely disagree with that diagnosis, as I was not a crazy nut job around my period prior to getting on birth control, but whatever. She put me on Yaz. Yea, you know what that is... you have seen the commercials. It worked actually, and now I am not a crazy nut job around my period. Yay for that.

But telling you about my period/birth control history is NOT the point of this post. The point is this:

I was on Aetna insurance when I worked at my last school. Aetna did not cover Yaz as it is still in the Formulary stages. I had to pay "formulary" co-pays. Conveniently, or not, the 'formulary' co-pay is EXACTLY the same price as what Yaz costs without insurance: $60. I have been paying $60/month for over a year now. Talk about a big, annoying expense.

Enter getting married to a man in the Army. Enter being in the military healthcare system, known as Tricare.

CB and I went to CVS last night to pick up my birth control. The pharmacist handed me a big pack. It appeared to be 3 months of Yaz, and the pharmacist confirmed this. I was getting slightly nervous, as that would be $180 in my previous life.

"Your total is $27."

OMG. $27 dollars. FOR 3 MONTHS OF BIRTH CONTROL. OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

I had a celebration right there. I wanted to hug the lady. Or someone at Tricare.

What's even better than this? When the prescription starts being filled at the Army base hospital... It will be FREE. $60/month to $27 dollars/3 months to FREE.

Moral of the story: Marry someone in the Army.

Okay not really.

Moral of the story: Tricare is really good to the military and their dependents. This is the best health insurance I have ever had.

No comments: