Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Okay, I could get used to this

CB and I picked up my car yesterday. I practiced driving it around the neighborhood with CB instructing me, and I became soooo frustrated with myself. Not because I killed the car or anything, but because starting off I was bumpy. I was nervous because now this is MY car and I don't want to do anything to hurt it. I am not used to the size of the car and I am not always sure where it ends in the back and front and on the right side. Basically I wanted to cry because here I was with my brand new car and I felt like I couldn't drive it.

When we were making dinner and talking about it, CB told me to go to the HEB, by myself, in my new car. That he had to utmost confidence that I could drive it by myself and have no problems. I decided to take his confidence in me and let it boost my own. I got in my car and I drove to the HEB. No problems. The smoothest starts I had all evening. I didn't kill it ever. I didn't hurt my car. I just drove. I was SOOOO ecstatic. I really CAN drive my new car. I drove it home, killed it once at a stop sign, which I quickly corrected, and made it home no problem after that.

After dinner, CB agreed to go for another ride with me, this time on and off highways. I have to go to the army hospital today to meet CB to get me put into the military healthcare system, so we practiced driving there last night. I got on the highway. I switched highways. I got off the highway. I pulled up to a military base, showed our IDs, and I drove in and parked. And then when we were done there, I drove it all the way home. No glitches.

I am SOOOO freaking excited. I am not perfect at driving a manual, but I am not bad either. I am glad to have confidence in myself, otherwise it does no good to have a brand new pretty car.

Anyways. I have to give the car back tomorrow so they can change out the cloth seats for leather ones, but after that it is mine forever.

I will post pictures of it once I get it back from the seat swap. They are detailing it and what not so it is extra pretty (it got rained on yesterday. boo.) Anyways. YAAAY.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word to the wise:

Never speed even 1 mph on post. Don't use your cell phone on post.
The M.P.'s are very stringent.

Also,
when i was learning to drive a stick, my dad told me "Son, at some point these next few weeks you'll end up at an intersection with a hill. You're probably going to kill it, and stop traffic. Just be ready to deal with it, and don't get upset. You'll be fine."

He was right. A few days later I did kill it, I did block traffic, but I dealt with it and was fine.