I say pt. 1, because I am sure there are many more parts to come.
Second of all, everyone who told me that I would have to get used to him being gone a lot was right. He is gone a lot. 6 days a week from 4:30am-7pm, sometimes later, and sometimes gone all night at the hospital. On nights that I have class from 6-9pm, our schedule goes something like this: CB leaves at 4:30am and kisses me goodbye. I wake up at 8:30am and do whatever all day. I leave at 4:30pm. He gets home around 7 or 7:30 pm. He starts making dinner. I get home at 9:30 pm. We eat dinner. We have 45 minutes of talking to each other about everything we can cram in. We go to bed. We try not to talk while lying in bed, though we never succeed, because then he is up for another hour. All in all, on those days, we have 1 hour of time together. I tell him every night, "Don't go to work tomorrow. Stay home and play with me." But I know he can't do that. This Saturday is his one day off this week, and I awesomely have to go to class from 8am-3pm. Life is hard.
The good news: He is on his general surgery rotation right now, and this is the rotation with the worst hours. The other rotations don't go in as early or leave as late.
The other good news: I am only in class for another week and a half.
The other other good news: At least he gets one day off a week. Civilian med students/doctors have it worse. The military is really strict about how many hours a week they can work, and mandates that they all have to have one 24 hour period off every week, to remain combat ready and all.
It hit me yesterday in the middle of the day that this is what life is going to be like for awhile. Him working long hours, me not working long hours, and seeing each other whenever we can. In some ways, it is good. It keeps us missing each other so that when we do have time together, we enjoy it as much as possible. AND, like I told him last night, seeing him face to face and spending time with him for an hour a day is MUCH better than 3 hours on the phone in 2 different states. It is good we had all that long distance practice though, because I know how to be on my own and enjoy myself. I am used to him not being around all the time. But I sure would like it if he was.
I want to always remain positive about the situation and never become bitter that we only see each other a little bit every day and that he only has one day a week off. I want to never become bitter or resentful over that. He is fulfilling a huge goal for his life and that is important. If I were in school or doing something really time consuming that was fulfilling my life goals, he would be beyond supportive. I want to do the same for him.
And also, this rotation is firmenting in his mind that he does not want to be a surgeon. He hates the hours.
Other things:
I really want my test scores back for my Latin test. I am nervous though.
I really want to teach Latin.
On Saturday, I have to present a 3 minute lesson over a procedure I want to teach my class.
I happen to know that the teacher is planting misbehaving students throughout the room to try and mess us up.
How do I know? Because I am one of them.
I am afraid I won't do a good job.
I wish summer would last forever.
Simultaneously, I need a job.
Going to Camp Eagle on Sunday and I am SOOO excited. Good times in the outdoors with old friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment