Saturday, July 25, 2009

On the first month of being legally married

Today marks 1 month of CB and I being legally married to one another. My thoughts? I love it. It's not perfect all the time. Studying medicine requires that he is gone a lot, but we work really hard to enjoy the time we have together. I am working on figuring out how to be a housewife, and constantly working on getting a teaching job. As of next week, I am going to begin the hunt for non-teaching jobs. Eeeek. What I like most about being married to CB is that we are a team. We work together constantly and make decisions together effectively without arguing or getting snappy. We both know that it isn't going to be perfect and we aren't always going to get it right but we are doing our best. He is understanding of my shortcomings as a housewife, and uber encouraging about the fact that I am not inclined to clean the house all the time. Our house, mind you, is not dirty really, it is just not where I think it should be. And yesterday? I made a complete dinner for us. A recipe out of a cookbook which I had never made before, and then I was even so bold as to make a dessert from a recipe. Both were actually very good and CB had 3 servings of the dessert. He looked at me and was like, "You're becoming a housewife. You're becoming domesticated." We both laughed a good deal at this, but I am so so so proud that I cooked. I cooked something that required cutting and sauteing and simmering. Yay me!

So being married? It does take work. But marrying a medical school student means we both get space and indepedence. I like that overall. And when we are together we enjoy it so much because we don't have unlimited time.

By the way? Still looking forward to wedding tremendously. Save the dates are going out (LATE...eeeek) hopefully this next week. Yea, that's right. I am still sending save the dates even though I'm technically married. Why? Because my wedding is still important, and I want people to save the date for it and come. Thankyouverymuch.

Another thing about being married? It requires extensive financial responsibility. CB and I looked at our monies today. We are not poor by any means. We have a roof over our heads, foods for our bellies, two very nice Mustangs, belongings which we love and are proud of, and I have a very pretty engagement ring. I really could not ask for more. The problem is the random little spending on crap. Do I really need to buy $77 worth of books every month? (Seriously, a book problem). No, probably not. Do I really need to go to Sonic before class? Not so much (my waistline agrees). It is hard when two people are sharing monies. You can't just do things like you used to. So tonight we made a budget for the month of August. We have very little extra room for spending money on anything besides food, gas, and bills. But the thing is that I am okay with that. I would rather have a home cooked meal than go out and we have discovered Red Box movies and lots of codes to get free movies. We'll be fine.

However, if I had a job, things would feel a lot better.

So being married to CB? Pretty great. I love him dearly.

No comments: