Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Sunshine after the Rainz.

Well, I must say thank you to those who sent me encouraging emails, made encouraging comments on my facebook and left encouraging comments here. I woke up feeling more like I could face the world/the parent and didn't dread driving to school.

Which brings me to today's good thing/bad thing.

Good thing:
Not related to the school I teach at now, but instead related to my old school...
I logged onto facebook this afternoon. One of my former students (as I allow them to friend me since I no longer work at their school, AND they are strictly on limited view for me) had this status message:
Suzy Good Student: misses Ms. C sooooooooooooooooo much.

With these comments below:
Darling Child: ugh me too!!!
Darling Child 2: so bad!!!!!!!!!!!

So, while not related to my day to day job right now... it is safe to say that this brightened my whole week.

Good thing related to the school I teach at now:
I have a phenomenal boss and head of school who both have been tremendously supportive of me in this minor ordeal of meeting with this parent. Both have lifted me up and encouraged me and let me know that this kind of thing is really actually a regular thing with this parent. And the head of school said he is going to sit in on the meeting with the parent tomorrow, not because I can't handle it, but because she is the type of woman who can get... you know... mean.
I also work at an incredible school where we are allowed to pray openly for one another and I had an entire faculty of elementary, middle and high school teachers pray for me this morning as they knew I was having a bad week and a hard time with a parent. It made my eyes quite teary.

Bad thing/thing to work on: I need to shower. And my effing eye hurts... again.... And I REALLY need to write lesson plans because they are late. But, simultaneously, another good thing because my boss told me not to stress about that right now and not to be hard on myself and that it will get done when I have the right amount of time to do it, and in the mean time she knows I am doing a good job and preparing for my classes.

Anyway, thank all of you for you support and encouragement in all the different forms you gave it in. It really really lifts my heart and soul. And I was reminded today that compliments are great and so very uplifting, but when we become too dependent on them to validate us, it then becomes way too easy to bring us down with one negative comment/parent. Which is a nice reminder to have.... though not a pleasant one.

Today certainly was an improvement. Thank you.

No comments: